The AIH and Beacon Approach
Atlantic Integrated Health ("AIH") was founded in 1994 by physicians to offer accessible, cost effective and high quality health care services to employers and other health care consumers in Eastern North Carolina. AIH is a regional network of credentialed physicians who are committed and accountable to improving the health status of their patients and the communities where they practice while reducing overall health care costs for employers and other health care consumers.
We offer accessible, cost effective and high quality health care services to employers and other health care consumers in Eastern North Carolina.
In 1997, AIH formed The Beacon Company ("Beacon") to be the integrator of care that links physicians, hospitals, and other health care providers into one regional health system. Beacon is a committed model of providers that offers employers and other health care consumers, single contracting authority for a full continuum of services throughout Eastern North Carolina.
The Objectives of AIH & Beacon
- Offer employers and other health care consumers an effective, selective, and regional managed care network of physicians, hospitals, and other health care providers at negotiated, affordable pricing;
- Provide patients high quality, cost-effective health care managed by physicians and hospitals they know and trust;
- Assure patients and physicians that decisions related to health care management and standards of care are made in Eastern North Carolina, not by insurance payers or other organizations located outside the region;
- Respond to patient needs quickly and facilitate access to care without barriers to effective treatment;
- Promote preventive services, early interventions, and the overall management of care;
- Establish relationships between health care consumers and providers that result in the development of innovative health care management programs that meet and exceed the needs of patients;
- Provide information requested by health care consumers and providers on a timely basis and in a format which is consistent with their needs;
- Promote quality patient care through effective communication among all providers, including primary care physicians, specialty care physicians, and hospitals; and
- Facilitate development of a truly integrated health system that offers a full continuum of health care services throughout Eastern North Carolina.
Why Choose AIH & Beacon
The answer is effective and demonstrated value with accountability.
- AIH and Beacon are owned and operated by health care providers who live and work in Eastern North Carolina.
- Participating providers have been carefully selected and credentialed and agree to negotiated, competitive pricing for their services.
- Patients and employers have a local contact to resolve issues that arise, including those related to billing, quality of care, and appointment scheduling.
- All medical decisions will be made by physicians who consider the quality of patient care to be the most important concern.
- AIH and Beacon are in the process of developing local liaisons at each participating hospital who are discharge planning nurses, social workers, and case managers that will work with physicians to ensure that patient care is provided in the most appropriate, cost-effective manner through the entire continuum of care
- AIH and Beacon offer innovative health plan programs that reduce health care costs and result in effective patient care management. Effective patient care management means keeping patients healthy and productive within their communitiesM
- Regional employers are able to work directly with regional health care providers who are committed to excellence and patient advocacy. We feel provider commitment and accountability results in patient and employer satisfaction and the reduction of health care costs.